Thursday, December 4, 2014

How to Ruin a "Good Meal"




Last night we had a guest at our house named Jessica, my daughter’s friend.  Alan, my husband, had made a huge amount of food, and Jessica gladly partook of two helpings of ham hocks, southern-style greens, and a pasta salad with sausage.  The dessert, a peach and cherry pie, was vegan. 

During the meal, Jessica asked why I was vegan.  I explained that it was for moral reasons, not for health, and that I simply choose not to participate in eating animals or animal products anymore.  She was quite interested and asked how I became a vegan, so I told her my personal story. 

After that, she asked one more question, whether I thought it was all right to eat animals from humane, small farms.  I proceeded to explain about the abuse on so-called humane farms, but my husband kept saying, “That’s not true!  You don’t know!”  So, I asked Jessica if she would raise a daughter to age six and then send her off to slaughter, and I went into detail about how dairy cows are artificially inseminated over and over . . . and at that point, Alan yelled, “Don’t you know we are eating?!!!!” 

Unfortunately, the sad irony was lost on the two of them.

2 comments:

  1. how sad your partner isn't as accepting as you... i admire your ability to share your life with a non-vegan - i did it for years, but they were stuck in their speciesist belief and i had a need to move on and stop compromising my beliefs... good luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are opposites and he is controlling and insults me a lot. It is not a happy marriage, but I adopted two kids and even though they are young adults, I feel an obligation to stay together a few more years. Finances keep us together too. I can handle it! That's why I do so much on the sly.

      Delete